Baby Teething Tips for ParentsJuly 29, 2022 12:42 am
Teething is a natural process for children that eventually leads to a mouth full of 20 baby teeth! Most children get all their primary teeth by the time they are three years old. You’ll quickly discover that periods of teething are uncomfortable for your child, and thus more stressful for you.
When teeth erupt, sore and tender gums will likely cause discomfort and irritation. Keep an eye out for the following teething signs, especially if your baby is nearing the age of one:
- Increased drooling
- Trouble sleeping
- Irritability and fussiness
- Increased biting and gnawing
- Cheek rubbing or ear pulling
- Deceased appetite
Tips to Comfort a Teething Baby
Though every child’s needs and temperament are different, here are some tips that you can try to ease your child’s teething pain:
- Gently rub your child’s gums with a clean finger or a damp washcloth.
- Provide a variety of safe teething rings and toys for chewing, chilled or at room temperature.
- Depending on your child’s age, offer cold bananas, watermelon, yogurt, water, or milk.
- Put apples or carrots in a mesh feeder for your child to gnaw on.
- Distract your child with a warm bath or by going outside.
- Use children’s ibuprofen and/or acetaminophen under the direction of their primary care provider.
A teething period generally lasts around a week. If your child continues to display abnormal fussiness and discomfort for longer, that may be an indicator of another issue. We suggest scheduling an appointment with their primary care provider for an evaluation.
Pediatric Dental Care in San Antonio, TX
At Brooks Pediatric Dentistry, our team is here to help during every step of your child’s dental development. Whether they only have one baby tooth or they already have all their adult teeth, our San Antonio office offers comprehensive pediatric dental care for infants, children, and teens. Please contact us today to schedule your child’s visit!